Right outside our hotel door, you can start your bike tour in East Tyrol’s mountains, which are definitely a paradise for all biking enthusiasts. Numerous bike sporting events such as the Giro d’Italia, one of the toughest road bike races in the world, take place partly in Lienz. Other highlights for biking enthusiasts are the yearly Dolomitenradrundfahrt and the Red Bull Dolomitenmann. East Tyrol is the perfect setting not just for competitions but also your biking vacation!
The Drava bike trail, which passes close by the Dolomitenhof, is ideal for leisurely bikers and families! The Drava bike trail extends over 366 km from Italy through East Tyrol and Carinthia to Slovenia. You can reach Innichen / San Candido with your bike with the ÖBB (Austria Federal Railways). From here, you can bike slightly downhill for 53 km back to the Dolomitenhof in Tristach. Awaiting you along the way are many fascinating excursion destinations and refreshment opportunities such as the historic Aigner Badl, the Vitalpinum, and the Galitzenklamm. Via the Drava bike trail, you can easily reach the Roman city of Aguntum from our hotel. Numerous outdoor pools and lakes along the way provide a refreshing way to cool off.
The 2nd main river in East Tyrol is the Isel. You can also explore this by bike. The Isel bike path leads along 29 km with an average gradient of 1% to Matrei in Osttirol – a perfect, leisurely route.
You will find over 600 km of well signposted mountain biking & cycling routes in the East Tyrol region! Beginners, hobby cyclists, and professionals will find just the right tour for them! The gorgeous mountain scenery provides unforgettable mountain bike experiences. Insider tips for experienced bikers include the challenging side valleys of East Tyrol such as the Villgratental, Debanttal, and Virgental!
Bike Park Lienz
The meeting place for downhill enthusiasts, mountain bikers, and endurance fans no matter whether child or adult, beginner or pro. Located at the foot of the local mountain of the sunny city of Lienz is the center for bike lovers. Where else does a downhill route end right in the city? A pump track, a bike bar for sociable gatherings, and a service station for bikers is located right at the valley station of the Hochstein lift. Downhill fans will find the right flow and major air time on a total of 11.6 km of trails. A stunning view of the sunny city of Lienz and the surrounding mountains is included.
- On the pump track, beginners can prepare for the trails in the Bike Park Lienz.
- The 4 km long family flow trail is suitable for downhill beginners and starts at section 1 at the Moosalm.
- The Alban Lakata trail starts at section 1 at the Moosalm and runs for 2 km with an intermediate level of difficulty.
- The Peter Sagan trail with a length of 4.6 km starts at section 2 of the Sternalm. Downhill fans will get their money’s worth here with an intermediate difficulty level.
- The most difficult trail in the Bike Park Lienz is called "Welcome to the Jungle" and connects the Sternalm section 2 with the Moosalm/section 1 via a fall line of 600 m.
Bike Park Großglockner Resort in Kals
Pure biking fun around the Großglockner! In the Großglockner Resort in Kals, 3 single trails invite you to enjoy biking to the fullest in East Tyrol:
- Adler trail: with a magnificent panoramic view of more than sixty 3,000-meter high summits, the single trail leads for 3.7 km from the summit station of the Kals gondola on the Cimaross into the valley.
- Gornerwald trail: a challenging trail for experienced bikers that starts at the mid station of the GG-Resort lift at an elevation of 1,960 m and leads over 4.76 km to the district of Großdorf in Kals.
- Temblerfeld trail: the short trail from the Temblerfeld to the Temblerhof is ideal for practicing. Here, beginners and pros can perfect their jumps and technique.
East Tyrol is an Eldorado for cyclists as can be seen by the many bike sporting events that take place here thanks to the ideal conditions in East Tyrol. Take a ride on the route of the Dolomitenradrundfahrt and discover the beauty of East Tyrol’s side valleys or explore the Großglockner on the Glocknerrunde.
Environmentally-conscious and energy-saving but all the more exciting – a vacation with e-bikes! Inclines, headwinds, and long journeys are easy to conquer with an electric motor. East Tyrol offers many suitable routes and a well-developed network of e-bike charging stations. By e-bike, you can effortlessly reach the charming alpine huts of East Tyrol where delicious specialties await you.
If you don’t bring your own e-bike, there are several rental stations – we will be happy to help!
By e-bike through the Hohe Tauern National Park in the Debanttal (38 km)
- especially popular! From the Zettersfeld valley station, continue on your e-bike via the Obergaimberg and the Faschingalmstraße to just below the Faschingalm. From here, the trail is initially flat and then slightly downhill and leads to a fork in the path at the Nußdorfer bridge and connects to MTB path 153 in the Debanttal. Continue uphill to the Seichenbrunn parking lot. Now you will be in the Debanttal in the Hohe Tauern National Park and can bike along the charming high valley to the Lienzer Hütte.
Explore the Lienz Dolomites by e-bike (40 km)
From the Dolomitenhof, you can reach the Hochstein in a few kilometers. From the valley station of the Hochstein lift, follow the signposts towards the Iseltal. You will come to the Glanzer bridge via the Isel bike trail. Follow the signposts to Oberlienz and you will come to the Roman settlement of Aguntum via idyllic pasture trails past Lienz to Debant. Then continue to Stribach, Dölsach, and Gödnach. The ride via the Drava bike trail towards Carinthia is rewarding, and on the way back via Lavant, you will pass the Frauenbach waterfall, the Dolomitengolf course, as well as the idyllic villages of Tristach, Amlach, and Leisach. From here, you can head back to Lienz. Numerous refreshment opportunities, charming rest areas, and e-bike charging stations make this e-bike tour a popular excursion destination.
Up to the Hochsteinhütte on e-bike (32 km)
Start from our hotel heading via the Amlach to Leisach. Cross the main road here at the “Pustertaler Höhenstraße” junction and follow this steep mountain road to Bannberg. Following the signposts for Hochstein, you will reach the Hochstein parking lot (1,980 m). From here, you are only a few minutes away from the Hochsteinhütte at an elevation of 2,057 m. Awaiting you here along with a worthwhile culinary stop is an e-bike charging station and a sensational panoramic view of the Lienz Dolomite region into the Pustertal and the Iseltal!